I have posted a number of times on how to make home safer as well as how to evaluate what kind of housing may be right for an older loved one who is moving from their lifelong home. And while I certainly am very aware of geriatric care management services that older adults can use when they make the move, I was made more aware of what a new kind of realtor called a “Senior Real Estate Specialist” can bring to the table as families put their homes up for sale. I spoke with Lisa Davis, a local Seniors Real Estate Specialist, or SRES as they are designated. Here is what she shared…
An SRES is a realtor who is uniquely trained and qualified to assist seniors in housing sales and purchases. The SRES designation is awarded to realtors who have additional education on how to help seniors and their families with later-in-life real estate transactions. Their mission is to help seniors and their families navigate the maze of financial, legal and emotional issues that accompany the sale of the home. They also draw upon the expertise of a network of senior specialists, such as estate planners, CPAs, and eldercare lawyers, and are familiar with local community resources and services.
Here are just some of what an SRES brings to seniors in transition:
- At this stage in life, it is not just a geographic move; it is about a change in life, so an SRES is trained in how to empathize with stress the big move can be.
- Some of that compassion is shown in letting the older adult move at a pace that allows them to process how they feel and make a more comfortable adjustment; it takes the time it takes.
- An SRES understands the emotional demands a sale can make on a senior; it is ultimately going to be not about moving things as much as it is moving memories.
- That said, every move is different, so an SRES looks for the signals on what a particular older resident needs and follows.
- An SRES knows that it is not just the older adult who has lived in the home who is moving; so an SRES works with seniors, adult children and caretakers.
- An SRES is knowledgeable about the local senior housing options and geriatric care management services where the senior is headed.
- An SRES has a network of other senior focused professionals who can assist in tax counseling, financial and estate planning, and other aspects of a sale, etc.
With more than 25 years guiding clients buying and selling their residences, Lisa Davis, a Broker with Coldwell Banker in Glenview, IL, has also earned the SRES designation. If you don’t know an SRES in your area, Lisa can help you find one. Lisa may be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org for questions or comments.
Charlotte Bishop is a Geriatric Care Manager and founder of Creative Care Management, certified professionals who are geriatric advocates, resources, counselors and friends providing senior care services to older adults and their families in metropolitan Chicago. Please email your questions to email@example.com