Senior Home Safety
Having a safe home is a large part of senior health that is often overlooked until it’s too late to prevent an accident and serious injury.
According to the National Institutes of Health, six out of ten falls happen in the home where we feel safe and secure. Our elder care management plans place an emphasis of senior home safety for just that reason. Small details like dim lighting, loose carpeting, hard to reach items or an uneven driveway, become safety hazards for aging adults.
Common Safety Hazards
As we grow older, we become more limited physically. Eyesight, strength and agility deteriorate, and we need to be more careful with our bodies as years progress. Addressing physical limitations by making changes around the home before an accident happens, can keep an older adult safe and comfortable at home.
Be aware of clutter on the floor, inconveniently placed furniture, slippery or uneven flooring and area rugs that could cause a problem. Bathrooms and kitchens are often the most hazardous rooms. Add extra railings for support in the bathroom and on the stairs, improve the lighting in dim areas and place items at an easy to reach height to keep your older family member safe.
Are You At Risk?
If you are concerned about safety hazards in your home, review our Home Safety Checklist for common hazards and solutions to keep your loved ones from harm, and contact us for an assessment of both the condition of your loved one and their home as well as further recommendations for geriatric care services in Chicago.
Get a FREE Consultation with a Certified Care Manager
CALL: 855-455-5118 x512 or just fill out the form.
Recent Client Praise
- “Charlotte was incredibly helpful to me yesterday and more so today. I'm delighted to have such a competent, caring partner. Also, Charlotte was instrumental in finding a new primary care physician for Margaret.”Harriet Brandt, Faith in Action Evanston
- “You are a source of stress relief for all of us.”A satisfied client
- “She has confidence in you.”A satisfied client
- “A friend told me how valuable the information [that Charlotte gave her] was!”Catharine J. Jones, Diplomate Analytical Psychoanalyst
- “[Charlotte has] been down this road before and will know just the right questions to ask.”A satisfied client
- My mom died on March 9th with dementia. During the 4 years as her caregiver, I really valued your emails. I learned so much from reading them and tips made my life better.A satisfied client